Analysis of a geometric pattern from the Alhambra Palace

alhambra-analysis--by-ambigraph

I haven’t posted on here for some time due to being immersed in studying and practicing geometry. One of the aspects I’ve found most rewarding and stimulating is the process of analysing and reconstructing a pattern. It’s done wonders for the development of my understanding of geometric proportions and pattern making.

Reconstructing this incredible pattern from the Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain was the biggest challenge I’ve taken on yet. It took several hours of staring at the bookmark above, while drawing and redrawing until the proportions made themselves clear. The process of creating a construction guide has provided further insights.

The result seems to be proportionally correct but if anyone who has knowledge about Islamic pattern construction, or even better this pattern in particular, has any observations they would be most welcome.. please leave a comment. Equally if you find it a useful guide, please let me know.

Good luck!

A time-lapse video demonstrating the construction of this pattern using compass, ruler and drawing tools:

A step-by-step construction guide:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

20 Responses to “Analysis of a geometric pattern from the Alhambra Palace”

1. david Fusco

my best source for this geometry is Issam El-Said and Ayse Parman’s book ‘Geometric concepts in Islamic Art’ – thanks for inspiring me to dig it out again!
    Thank you for all the help you have given, and putting up with the people who needed it…. including me! DF

• ambigraph

Thanks for the comment David.. glad you found it useful! (btw, is that the DF I know?)

2. dawn

Wow!! I have been following your amazing work on Instagram, and only now saw you have a blog. SO exciting!!

• ambigraph

Thanks for the support Dawn! I hope to make my site and blog more geometrically inclined in the near future so keep following..

3. brandon

I am sincerely grateful for the wisdom you have been kind enough to share. thank you!

4. Marsha

Hello. My first visit! Geometric designs are amazing. Samiramian.com has excellent tutorials on Udemy.com. Another great resource for information and history of Islamic Geometric Patterns is Eric Brough’s book. I love this quote “Praise the Infinite.” The Islamic patterns can be repeated to infinity with incredible shapes emerging. I’m sure it is a wonderful life-long study.

• stella maris

Por favor nombran libros donde los puedo conseguir en que parte Espero una respuesta…………Dentro de un tiempo viajare y si tengo los datos me seria mas facil Un cordial saludos

• ambigraph

Hi, I don’t read Spanish but I think you’re asking about books. I’d recommend Islamic Design by Daud Sutton and Arts and Crafts of the Islamic Lands by Khaled Azzam.

5. Susan Dobrian

Ameet,
    Absolutely mesmerizing! Really beautiful and inspiring!
    Susan (from the Granada trip)

6. Rebin

Very nice and mind blowing pattern and thanks for make it livable. Do you think you will put this in PDF or hopefully soon we can see your book?

• ambigraph

Many thanks. No plans to make a PDF.. I have learnt a lot since I published this and would probably approach this pattern differently now, although I think this is still a worthwhile method. Thanks for the support!

7. Mohamad

Dear Ambigraph
    Very nice work, but I am sorry to say that the method for constructing the pattern is not correct; the result is a deformed shapes in the drawing. The four tips of the stars are not equal, this breaks one of the golden rules, every shape in the pattern must have at least one axis of symmetry. The key to this pattern is to make the four sides of the small petals equal. By the way, many patterns mentioned by Issam El-Said and Eric Brough are not correct. And the methods used to construct these patterns are complicated and often leads to deformed patterns.
    If you want to know more watch the videos on my youtube channel.

• ambigraph

Many thanks for your comment Mohamad. I am aware that this is an approximation that results in slightly distorted pentagrams. I created this analysis when I had only been exploring Islamic geometry for a few months. I have since studied with Daud Sutton who has explored 16-8 patterns extensively. He pointed out the approximation and showed me a reasonably simple ruler and compass method for the precise version of this pattern.

You can see in the work I have been producing more recently https://www.instagram.com/ambigraph/, I try to achieve reflective symmetry in the pentagrams and understand that this is what results in balance in the design.

I have seen your videos.. I especially like how they clarify the reasons why incorrect proportions harm the integrity of the designs. Thanks again.